Tuesday, April 6, 2010

The Joy of Quilting, and Butterflies

Some of the many joys of quilting are collecting fabric for a special quilt for someone, spending many hours designing and making it with love in every stitch, and finally presenting that quilt to your loved one and seeing their reaction.  This is a picture of a quilt that I couldn't post until now.  I did all of the collecting, designing, an sewing over a period of a couple of years and was finally able to give it to my dear sister and brother in law when we arrived here in Gainesville.  The joy and happiness on their faces told me it was all worth it.

I named this quilt Sea Glass because of the colors of the fabrics.  It is for their house on the Gulf Coast of Florida at Cedar Key.

Another joy of quilting is oohing and awwing over other people's quilts.  I got to do just that yesterday.  Donna took me to the museum at the University of Florida where the feature exhibit right now is 104 quilts depicting Florida.  There were some real beauties there!  The Sea Glass one I made for her would have been right at home there.  Here are a couple of pictures of quilts.  My camera was running out of juice and I wanted to save it for the butterflies so I only took these two.




Also at the museum is a gorgeous butterfly garden.  Both the flowers and the butterflies are breathtaking!  Here are a few pictures I took.



Aren't these gorgeous?

This morning we are taking our time and sadly packing up again to leave Donna and David.  We've had a great time and been treated royally, as usual.  But we are looking forward to seeing my brother Larry in Fernandina Beach, Florida, tonight.  Next to Joe and Jody, he gives the best hugs in the world!

No comments:

Post a Comment